[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 05:30:15 EST 2011

Hi!

> Isn't it time to have a stable QGIS ? Call it LTS, or stable or
> whatever. But users want to know that it will be supported for some
> time, with *no changes* in the GUI, a well known feature set, and
> including "backporting" of bug fixes, etc. Perhaps that should be the
> goal for 2.0?

You are definitely right!
I agree that we probably should do the same as we did with 1.0 (with
less success) and call 2.0 a "Long Term release".
Probably we should look at how other projects handle these thing (like
GRASS or any other software).
But nevertheless first of all there need to be a 2.0 :)
And to be honest I'd like to see all those nice new features (raster
reprojection, new symbology, labeling, threading, globe) in the 2.0
otherwise a 2.0 does not make sense to me.
We probably could really put those new things slowly into 1.7/1.8/1.9
and than have a few RC Releases of 2.0 to clean out most of the bugs and
than release a 2.0 with long term support.

But remember - we would also need a whole infrastructure for going into
long term support for 2.0.x. (forum for 2.0.x?, bug reports for 2.0.x)
which means a lot more work (especially for devs to backport some fixes)

but all in all - i think it was meant to be to have 2.0 as a long
term/stable version anyway

kind regards
Werner