[Qgis-developer] A roadmap to QGIS 2.0

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jan 25 16:07:43 EST 2011

Ah an inadvertant click of the send button - please see below for full
message...

2011/1/25 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>:
> Hi All
>
> To summarise the opinions (toungue in cheek here):
>
> - we should wait a long time for 2.0 - like maybe in ten years
> - lets release it tomorrow
> - september sounds fine
>
> I would like to suggest we head along the path I described, nothing is
> cast in stone and come september if everything is not 100% good to go
> we obviously won't release until we feel ready to do so. Personally I
> am excited about the idea of having another major release and starting
> towards making QGIS a mature analytical GIS in the 2.x series
> culminating in 3.0, rather than primarily a GIS data browser.
>
> Regarding the idea of long term supported releases, we have tried to
> do this before, and variations of stable and unstable release cycles
> etc. From past experience my opinion is that we will only be able to
> realise that kind of release process when there are a team of QGIS
> developers whose time is wholely devoted to maintaining stable
> releases and backporting bugfixes from upstream to them. The reality
> is that developers (or their sponsors) work on what they need or feel
> like and we have no leverage to dictate how they should

...continued....

spend their time. As such I suggest we continue as we are until such
time that E$RI gives up on that toy GIS of theirs and throws all their
resources into stabilising QGIS LTS releases.

Best regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net