[Qgis-developer] Rethinking the testing and release procedure of QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Jul 7 04:54:28 EDT 2011

 yes - I think it should be the goal that developers can work full time
 on QGIS. And a policy should be introduced that all newly implemented
 features should have tests.

 I wouldn't only blame the paying customers for not wanting the unit
 tests, it is just as much the duty of the developer to educate the
 customer about the unit tests/testing infrastructure. We do some
 substantial funding of QGIS, but we were not aware about the problem of
 the lacking tests until just recently. I don't see a problem to pay an
 extra amount dedicated to testing the new features.

 Sandro Santilli (strk) is a Postgis developer who did some work for us.
 He is always doing the testing and documentation as part of the
 contract. I think this should also be the case for QGIS development.

 But for the existing functionality of QGIS we need to find a different
 solution. Strk said that he would be available to help in building a
 test infrastructure if we can find funding. We from our part would be
 willing to help funding such an effort (of course there would have to be
 a couple other organizations to help as well).

 Thank you for your thoughts,
 Andreas

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A