[Qgis-developer] about porting QGIS on mobile

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 13:59:01 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> I found this reading inspiring and thought-provoking:
> http://daringfireball.net/2011/06/windows_8_fundamentally_flawed
> In short, it may not make much sense to have QGIS running on a mobile device, it
> seems more appropriate to rethink at least the interface from scratch.
> All the best.

That I was talking about in my earlier post, when mobile discussion
started. It make a sense to port some good libraries, but GUI must be
completely different.
When starting any mobile project, one should ask a question, which
kind of libraries is need. First, one should look for some more native
libraries (Java in case of Android) and in case they are not suitable,
think about porting some foreign libs.

The question is, what kind of features we need in our mobile app ? Do
we need something which does not exists for example in Nutiteq Map
libs [1]?

1 - https://github.com/rorist/maps-lib-nutiteq

Ivan