[Qgis-developer] Re: dealing with "long" primary keys

wambacher pille3 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 14:15:08 EDT 2011

Thank's Mayeulk,

but that won't solve my problems :(

mayeulk wrote:

> To simplify rendering with QGIS, the osm2postgresql script sets up a
> PostgreSQL database, imports OSM data into it and process those data
> (including multi-polygons with holes).
I'm using the osmosis  "Snapshot"-Schema und do my updates via the minutely
diff-files using osmosis too. That schema is fixed to int*8.
The other often used database (fed by osm2pgsql) is still int*4 but they
must change soon to int*8.

However, I've seen on the OSM dev list that some threshold for the
> number of nodes will be reached soon and this might become an issue;
the threshhold will be exceeded this year when the node-id reaches the
32bit-limit of 2g - at the moment the highest key is about 1.400.000.00
(not the number of records - osm is never using an old key again)

if so, I will adapt the script to have a primary key as only nodes with
> tags are needed for rendering (in the structure created
> byosm2postgresql, there is a table called nodes_with_tags, aimed at
> this).
that will not help, because many of us need ALL nodes - with and without
tags- because we don't render at all but do other stuff with the data
(routing, analysis,  navigation, Location-Finder like Nominatim (*),
POI-Finder on Mobiles, .... everything but rendering)

To be honest:
i'm not looking for a workaround to do some stuff using QGIS. I would like
QGIS to work with ANY data from ANY source with int*8-Keys.

Regards
walter

btw:  "Nominatim has run out of integers and the database is being updated
to use bigint. While this is processing there will be no updates. With the
software changes needed to support this the ETA for completing this work is
13th of June. Apart from updates the service will operate as normal. --
Twain 13:24, 3 June 2011 (BST)"

same Problem at all.