[Qgis-developer] GIT Cleanup Completed

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Jun 6 09:46:11 EDT 2011

Hi All

Ok I have finished the cleanup of tags and branches in the GitHub main
repository for QGIS. If you have a clone, you may want to perform a
similar cleanup to your local repo. I strongly suggest making a backup
before doing this and checking that the script below does not trash
any of your valuable work. That said if you want a hint about how to
remove the pruned branches and tags from your github or other clone
you can use a variation of this bash script:

BRANCHLIST=$(git branch -r | grep origin | grep dev | sed
's/origin\///g' | grep -v threading)
for BRANCH in $BRANCHLIST
do
  echo "Deleting branch $BRANCH"
  git push origin :$BRANCH
done

TAGLIST=$(git tag -l | grep -v release-1-7-0)
for TAG in $TAGLIST
do
  echo "Deleting tag: $TAG"
  git push origin :refs/tags/$TAG
done

The above assumes that the main QGIS github is NOT your origin
repository, but rather a fork on github or a bare clone on another
server. Again, if https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS is your origin,
there is nothing to do.

I think the GIT repository is now in quite a neat clean and logical
state and ready for the whole world to get busy with when we announce
the upcoming release! We now have 34 branches (as opposed to around 70
before) and 1 tag.

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux