[Qgis-developer] New Python console idea: Expanding the Python console to handle DSLs for plugins eg CADTools

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 08:27:45 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Nathan Woodrow <madmanwoo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would appreciated any feedback anyone has.  I'm not a python expert so the
> code could be done better if done for real but at the moment it's just rough
> to get the idea out there.

 I like the idea of supplying console functionality for plugins.

 I don't like the idea of piggybacking via "PREFIX: foo" syntax onto Python.

 People might think they can mix python variables with variables in
other DSLs. Which would be tricky.

 What might be nice would be if the Python console could exist in a
tabbed window, and plugins could have an 'open console' option, which
would add a tab to the python console. This would provide standard
console functionality and then feed the lines to a handler registered
by the plugin.

 Maybe you could even have seventeen python console tabs open at once
next to four SQL command tabs and one interface to the QGIS API
written in perl?

Barry