[Qgis-developer] forum.qgis.org

Nick Hopton nhopton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 13:03:19 EDT 2011

> From: Pirmin Kalberer <pi_ml at sourcepole.com>
>
> Hi all,
> Some time ago it was mentioned that forum.qgis.org should be replaced.
> Why not simply redirect to
> http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/qgis-user-f2036571.html ?
> Regards
> Pirmin

There might be unwanted consequences if this were to happen. The forum
has evolved into a friendly first port of call for newcomers with
problems and I think that some new users might find the mailing-list
intimidating (I'm taking here about, say, a lad who might have
installed QGIS yesterday and now finds that his GPS tracks won't fit
properly on his map). At present we have the forum, which I think does
a good job for newcomers; the mailing-list, which is pitched more
towards those with greater experience; and we have the developer list,
which is where the world-class experts live.

I don't think this is a bad hierarchy.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton, Caversham, Reading, England.