[Qgis-developer] In with the new, out with the old?

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Mon Mar 7 17:29:30 EST 2011

> > Hmmmm implementing other file formats to the QgsVectorFileWriter is quite
> > easy, while AFAIK writing to the memory layer requires another approach.
> > Maybe we should encapsulate the QgsVectorFileWriter to provide an
> > universal class for the 1.7 API? Just a thought - it's late and my brain
> > is busy with a few other threads ;)
>
> My preference would be to add the capability to write to other
> formats. Writing to a memory layer can become unwieldy when working
> with large layers (which is common with geoprocessing operations).

Actually I think there's no simple answer what is better. I prefer to use
memory layers as long as it's possible. So I'd prefer to see three options:

- save to memory layer [...name...] and add to the canvas
- save to file [...path...] and add to the canvas
- save to file [...path...] and don't add to the canvas

Btw. When saving to files, kinda garbage collector would be extremely usable:)