[Qgis-developer] Bringing diagrams into labeling-ng

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 05:08:34 EDT 2011

Hi Marco

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Marco Hugentobler
<marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> There's a patch now that adds diagram support using QgsPalLabeling
> (http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3583). It tries to change the labeling
> classes as little as possible to not introduce additional issues.
>
> Currently available are pie diagrams and text diagrams. My plan is to also
> support bars (and maybe proportional svg symbols) and to remove the vector
> overlay classes after 1.7.
>
> What do you think, is it still ok for those changes to go into 1.7? Looking
> forward to your comments.

I have looked at the patch and it seems fine to me. Some comments:
- does this imply a complete removal of diagram overlay plugin?
- does it make sense to you to remove the "overlays" tab in the
options dialog? It only allows changing the PAL algorithm, I guess
barely anyone knows what those options mean (and they don't make any
difference anyway unless you have a very dense set of label
candidates)
- I wonder if it wouldn't better to move QgsDiagramLayerSettings
instance from QgsVectorLayer to QgsDiagramRendererV2. If I understand
the code correctly, the diagram layer settings make sense only if
there exists a diagram renderer, right?
- please do not forget to add notes to the new classes and new methods
that they have been added in 1.7, if possible update also the bindings
(I could help you if necessary)

Otherwise +1 from me to apply before the feature freeze.

Regards
Martin