[Qgis-developer] How do I enable ecw when building on Windows agains gdal-1.8?

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Fri Mar 18 00:41:25 EDT 2011

Hi everyone,
I have side by side installs on Windows of the OSGEO nightly build (in
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis-dev) and trunk compiled from source (in
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\qgis-trunk).
The OSGeo build can open ECW files, but my own build says these are not
a supported data source.

If I swap the copies of gdalprovider.dll between the two installs, then
the OSGEO QGIS says ECW is not supported, and my QGIS can open ECW.

Also, if I install gdal 1.7 (and its ECW driver), compile against that
instead of against gdal 1.8, and change GDAL_DRIVER_PATH in the .bat
file, then my build can open ECW files.

Is there something extra that needs to be done when building QGIS
against gdal 1.8?  Perhaps I need to set the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH in the
batch script that I start cmake-gui and vcexpress from, or something
like that?

Thanks,
Alister