[Qgis-developer] Feedback from another Workshop

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 16 21:37:37 EDT 2011

I did a workshop last weekend with 25 mostly "manager" types from around
the world at a seminar on climate change issues in natural resource
management. Here's a little feedback.

Note we used QGIS 1.6 on OSGeo Live 4.5 Virtual Machines.
1. The Vector load dialog seems to confuse some (those of lower
technical aptitude or background). They seemed to prefer the Raster load
dialog method of immediately opening a file browse window. We should
probably spend some time rethinking this dialog.

2. The Histogram for Raster layers does not appear to scale (Y axis
specifically doesn't get small enough) appropriately for a given dataset
and is not user customizable. There's not longer a refresh button (not
sure if that's a problem).

3. The tiny drop down and click+hold to open the drop down for some
toolbar items was not intuitive. Only 1 person in 25 new what to do (to
find the Measure Area) because he had seen it done that way in Arc. <--
This one is already fixed in Trunk/1.7, so good job team for taking the
suggested fix months ago.

4. In the Field calculator when you pick to calculate area it would
really useful to be able to pick the units rather than having to look up
the conversion factor and modify the formula. The fact that's it
converted could be noted in the name Area(ha) - I don't know if ()
characters break columns names in shp and databases but you get the idea.

Overall, no crashes, no major show stoppers just a few minor quirks and
I made sure to tell them that I intended to post their suggestions to
the QGIS team.

Once I get approval on releasing the example data the 2 hour lab + data
will be posted online for others to use.

Thanks,
Alex