[Qgis-developer] Re: MXD

Duarte Carreira DCarreira at edia.pt
Fri May 27 06:05:45 EDT 2011

In my view, this is amazingly useful.

If you have an organization based on ESRI, and you want to migrate or introduce a second line of GIS tools in your tool chain, this will speed things up very much. Of course, I don't know if symbology is carried to QGIS automatically. I'm inclined to think it is not, because it would be somewhat complicated. (But doable...)

Some datasources won't be translated because there is no equivalent in QGIS (like ArcSDE, or file geodatabase, and geodb specifics "terrains", etc.). Although I have been able to get ArcSDE support working in QGIS through OGR (it takes forever to connect, but afterwards it's quite good while drawing and querying).

AFAIK there is no specific license limitation to what you can add to your toolbox. If you want to export your data/maps/projects to whatever format you can...

For me this is a very good tool!

Duarte