[Qgis-developer] Possible GUI Enhancement for canvas Selection Editing

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Nov 4 03:22:16 EDT 2011

 Hi Mars,

 Thank you for sharing your thoughts

 There may some functionality in QGIS that you aren't fully aware off:

 1. there are some options in the layer properties "Fields" tab. Here
 you can hide certain fields, set them immutable, set a widget, such as a
 slider, calendar widget, textbox, selection list, etc. - what you cannot
 do here is to re-order the fields.

 2. You can create your own form using qt-designer. Here your are fully
 free to design it as you like. The only things to keep in mind: widget
 names need to correspond with field names and the data types must be
 compatible with the widget you choose. qt-designer comes with the qt
 development tools - you can install it with the OSGeo4W installer if you
 want - or you can install it separately from the qt-Nokia website.

 Nevertheless we also plan new form features that should bring it on par
 with products like Autodesk Topobase. Jürgen Fischer works/or will work
 on it.

 Hope the above hints help a bit to get to your own custom forms.

 On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:14:56 -0700, Mars Sjoden wrote:
> I have been testing using the Edit Form via Identify Tool using "Open
> feature form.." Mode.
> I still wonder though if it is not possible to allow for Direct
> Editing within the Identify Results window.
> Not that anything is really broke, but I still feel it would give
> the
> User a more consistent feel and flow and enhanced efficiency to their
> workspace and editing.
> For instance when a layers Attribute Table is open AND its related
> layer is editable,
> double clicking a value cues that value for editing.
> Problem with editing an Attribute Table is that it can span 3 Screens
> while the efficiency
> of an Identify Results window can show everything compact in a nice
> list.
> I do want to say that I am still very much in favour of the "Edit
> Form"
> I can invision the Edit Form becoming a very advanced Attribute
> Editing window.
> If there was an "Attribute Editing Form" that was user adjustable,
> allowing specific Attributes to be viewable in a user specified
> order,
> the "Attribute Editing Form" could become a very powerful and
> efficient data entering tool.
> I suppose the real question is whether it is better to combine the
> Edit Form with the Identify Results window,
> Or possibly adding another "Attribute Editor Tool" to the Editor Tool
> bar that would allow selecting features
> on the canvas to open an advanced Edit Form.
> Just some thoughts .
> mars

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A