[Qgis-developer] Teaching with Qgis

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Nov 17 02:11:06 EST 2011

Hi

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Barry Rowlingson
<b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
> The GIS teaching in our environmental faculty here uses commercial GIS
> software. There is some mumbling about introducing Open Source but
> this year's students will not have the pleasure.
>
> As I've expressed an interest in teaching with Qgis, I thought I would
> have a look at some typical GIS teaching examples and see how well
> they translate to Qgis. I found this very nice set of lessons:
>
> http://www.umaine.edu/mial/int527/labs.htm

What licenses are these released under? I can also point you to
further resources I have found if you are interested (I will need to
root around in my inbox). There is also this http://linfiniti.com/dla
which is all freely available under GPLD and CC-SA licences. It would
be really nice to create yet another git repo where we can assemble a
collection of consistenly written and styled teaching modules such
that a course presenter could collate the relevant bits into the
course he/she is presenting. It would also make a good step forward in
our certification plans as we would be able to provide solid course
material to go along with the certification programme.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services