[Qgis-developer] QIGS GPL -> LGPL - Tigers, Lions and Bears Oh My!

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:16:26 EST 2011

>> However, if you sell the plugin or give it to the third party, then
>> this is consider - public release, right?

> I'm not 100% sure here, the GNU faq says:
>
> But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL
> requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's
> users,
> under the GPL.
>
> 'the program's user' would then be the one you hand out the binary version?

A typical example, "selling or give it to a third party" is the
Android phone / tablet. Some of the Android chinese manufacturers are
not supplying the Android Linux kernel sources for their devices.

This also applies to a lot of wireless router manufacturers before,
not supplying modified linux kernel on their routers. When you buy
these routers, you can ask for the linux kernel source code since it
is GPL.

Noli