[Qgis-developer] Installing providers into their own directory

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Nov 22 19:37:09 EST 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Martin Dobias wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Does anyone have  problem withthis?:
>>
>> https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/63
>>
>> This commit moves the providers into their own dir
>> (lib/qgis/providers) instead of mixing them with plugins. The reason
>> for this is to have a cleaner installation layout and to reduce noise
>> and possible issues when loading plugins to test if they are
>> providers.
>
> Hi Tim
>
> +1 from me. Recently I have been looking at the difference in speed if
> the plugins and providers were split. With clear file system cache the
> initialization of provider registry took ~1.8s with providers+plugins
> in one directory, only ~0.9s with just providers in the directory.
>
> For 2.0 we could maybe load the providers (and plugins) only on demand
> to further save some time - only a directory list would be fetched on
> startup, the libraries would be loaded when a first layer would be
> loaded...

Something else that fits in with this provider separation - providers are not shared libraries.  Any shared code should be put in a library.  This should be made clear in the developer docs and enforced.

The GRASS plugin in master is essentially broken on OS X because the provider is linked as a shared library, even with my partial fix:

http://hub.qgis.org/issues/3999

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan