[Qgis-developer] Benchmarking / optimization

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Wed Nov 30 05:54:55 EST 2011

Hi Luca

Benchmarks are very specific, it's impossible to create general
statements just from the slides without knowing the test arrangement
very well.

If you are referring to the foss4g benchmark this year, the first
comparison test was mainly about the performance of near empty requests
(otherwise, impossible to handle more than 100 requests per second also
for umn or geoserver).

In production environments, my impression is that QGIS server is not
dramatically slower than other WMS servers.

Regards,
Marco

On 30.11.2011 11:35, luca_manganelli at comune.trento.it wrote:

> qgis-developer-bounces at lists.osgeo.org scritti il 30/11/2011 11.24.23
>
> > IMHO:
> > - it would be easy to setup a test engine for QGIS Server, and keep
> > updated a table of results, so we could spot promptly any change in
> > performances
> > - anyway, QGIS Server should be used as tiled, in any condition where
> > performance is an issue.
> > All the best.
>
> In a recent WMS comparison presentation (MapServer vs GeoServer vs
> QGIS server vs others), benchmarks had shown that QGIS server is the
> worst and doesn't scale with the number of CPU cores.

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland