[Qgis-developer] Approximate reprojection for vectors

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Thu Oct 6 00:52:02 EDT 2011

Hi Martin

>In any case we should look into the performance in a more coordinated way:
>1. choose a dataset for testing - ideally just 1-3 layers of real data
>with lots of features (e.g. 10000+) for each feature type - points,
>polylines, polygons. Any ideas for a free dataset?
>2. write a benchmark that could be run repeatedly easily - I would
>volunteer to provide it
>3. test and analyze the results
>4. optimize bottlenecks

I like the idea of having a performance test suite. Ideally there should be
the possibility to add new datasets / tests (map rectangles, symbologies) to
it.

> Is the benchmark (data + configuration) publicly available? Is it
> simple to download it and run on a local machine?

The information for the last two benchmarks is here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2011
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2010

The infrastructure is there during the year, so we can always make test runs.
The configuration for 2011 is not ideal in my opinion, too complicated with
over 100 layers and some test arrangements are a bit strange (e.g. lots of
very small rectangles in one test).

Regards,
Marco