[Qgis-developer] "Apply" to be avoided

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Oct 17 10:52:10 EDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 05:01 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 17/10/2011 13:41, Marco Hugentobler ha scritto:
>>> agreed, but in the case mentioned the result is almost instantaneous in
>>> most situations, AFAICT.
>> You mean the 'classify' buttons in the graduated symbol(ng)dialog? I
>> have some
>> large datasets where it takes 20s to go through all features...
>>
> yes, but this is also true for many other "live" operations. shouldn't
> we have more predictable behaviour?
> in my experience, many users tend to overlook the Apply button, and get
> confused.
> thanks for your thoughts.

Can you point out specific dialogs in which you are referring to?
Do these buttons also have OK which also applies the changes?
I think re-application if nothing has changed should be avoided on OK if
Apply was already used.

However the Apply button itself may be an issue for only new users, and
possibly something worth learning.

QGIS is hardly the only application with this methodology and it does
have it's benefits, especially when large classification operations do
not come out the way you want without lots of hand changes. Now keeping
the Apply button grayed out until a change is made makes sense in all
use cases to me.

Thanks,
Alex