[Qgis-developer] adding python interpreter to QGis mapserver to expose analysis routines

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Oct 21 09:00:38 EDT 2011

> I think that the main benefit would be having a single interface to manage,
> both on the side of fcgi configurations (eg Apache) and global, server,
> configurations.
> I imagine that one could expose some services depending on the overall
> configuration, or per user, or per domain, etc.
> Geoserver let services share functionalities, being "beans" managed by the
> server context available to any service. Anyway this could be a future
> feature (I suppose it would take not a small time to be designed and
> implemented), but having a single gateway opens to this possibility too.

Ok, that leads probably back to the discussion wether to use apache config &
fcgi settings & an existing service proxy (SecureOWS & co.) vs. have a QGIS
module for user configuration and management.

> Geoserver let services share functionalities, being "beans" managed by the
> server context available to any service

With QGIS, a service can use any function in core/analysis library.
Additionally, Python webservices might directly use qgis bindings and python
plugin functionality by importing the relevant classes (correct me if I'm
wrong).
Is there a use-case where it is necessary to manage the functionality by a
central server instance?

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland