[Qgis-developer] Re: Module piping GUI [Was: analytical workflow]

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:45:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Camilo Polymeris <cpolymeris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Two main possible designs for this GUI came up:
>
> Either, a "connect-the-boxes"-style GUI (a graph):
>> http://www.gvsig.com/files/images/screenshots/gvSIG_Sextante_02.png
>
> or, a patchbay-style GUI:
>
>>> http://ubuntu.allmyapps.com/data/q/j/qjackctl-jack-control/UBUNTU-9.04/qjackctlPatchbayForm1.png

I understand the first one (graph) immediately.
I have no clue how the second one works with the lines across two
lists. From a usability perspective I'd choose the first one.

If the GUI interface is an issue, I think you can also generate a
similar tree structure from the DAGs :
Flow accumulation
+Watersheds
++Elevation: Raster layer1
++Channel Network
+++Elevation:...
+++Other option:...
++other input

In fact this is also the format you get in SAGA when you look to the
history of the file. I've attached a small example.

Perhaps this is what you ment with patchbay style, but I still don't
get what the lines mean, and why some properties would be on the left
or right.

Johan