[Qgis-developer] Re: Working on Symbology Improvement for the GSOC

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Mon Apr 2 15:13:33 EDT 2012

Hi,
Using QGIS 1.9 I've rendered one third of the Alps with 15 different
zoom levels as a hobby project (and serve the world at work on QGIS
server with a simpler symbology). See links and what I've learned from
this below.

Here would be my wish-list should we want to compete with open renderers
like Mapnik and Osmarender:

- Better (point) displacement plugin and/or rules on how to manage
overlapping symbols (ignore some symbols). For an example of what is
wrong, see here:
http://www.outdoormaps.org/simple_map.htm?zoom=15&lat=46.10527&lon=7.07953&layers=B0

- Manage z-index (show bridges above roads above tunnels above...). (I
proposed a quite simple implementation.)

Here one example where Mapnik gives good results but my (qgis-made)
outdoormaps fails:
http://www.outdoormaps.org/map.htm?zoom=16&lat=45.72481&lon=8.62683&layers=0FFTTTTF

It's a road over a railway over a road. Picture below:
http://fr.structurae.de/photos/index.cfm?JS=170534

OpenStreetMap statistics show that this (and more tricky) examples are
common.

- if/else / priority of rules functionality (as it was in 1.7.4 or with
other implementation)

I have detailed most of those in the thread below:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.qgis.devel/17094

Other note: For the "sample dataset" function the user can simply load a
simple dataset and experiment with it, then save the styles and apply
them in another project. I worked with a sample area on an old machine
then applied it to the world (OSM) with success. For average and fast
machines, then the postgis indexes do the workas long as you do not zoom
out too much so live experimentation with OSM world dataset is possible
with QGIS.

Mayeul