[Qgis-developer] Quick switch symbology styles

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 5 04:24:41 EDT 2012

 Hi,

 Thats a good point. Probably we should introduce media styles, just
 like CSS does for websites. We could have print, screen - maybe mobile?

 I also have the issue that font-sizes for screen need to be different
 from font-sizes on print. But for this purpose a global scale factor for
 all fonts usually works fine.

 I think this discussion is quite useful and could lead to some useful
 functionality - esp. if you target multiple media.

 Andreas

 On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 01:33:53 -0600, Larry Shaffer wrote:
> Often when defining whole layer styles, I find one rule set of units
> and dimensions (usually in mm) works well for general work on a
> screen
> and output via server, but high quality, denser output to print
> requires a different set, relative to expected output scale (where I
> often use map units). This is an example of needing to quickly switch
> layer styles, possibly across a whole project.
>
> How about a means to quickly switch between stored, named styles for
> layer?
>
> There could be named style store and load gui functions in the layer
> properties dialog. Loading/Saving a .qml file, for example, could
> offer to add a named style to the layer, prompting for a name. Load
> and/or Store once, then quickly switch between those saved named
> styles in future use of the project. A 'Stored Styles' submenu of the
> contextual menu for a selected layer in the legend could offer a
> quick
> switch between stored named styles.
>
> On a project level, there could be a submenu of uniquely used named
> styles, across the project's layers, to switch between. Then a
> looping
> function could switch all layers with a linked stored style of the
> chosen name in one operation, for example to 'Print' or 'OSM'. (Sure
> would beat import/exporting for many layers.)
>
> I see with the QgsMapLayer saveNamedStyle() and loadNamedStyle()
> already do the saving/loading bit, via a URI to the user's personal
> qgis.db or a .qml file. Storing of the named layer styles and their
> URIs could be in the project file. Named styles could be multi-linked
> at the layer level and stored at the project level, making them
> available to all layers of similar kind.
>
> Is this just crazy talk? Or something that has already been
> discussed?
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry Shaffer
> Dakota Cartography