[Qgis-developer] [hackfest] documentation tasks

Paolo Corti pcorti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 10:23:07 EDT 2012

Hi all

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com> wrote:

> Yes if (when!) we move to gettext I'm afraid it will be quite a job in
> the beginning for translators to migrate their content (you can do it
> comfortably using QtLinguist from that point on though which is nice.

I do not know QtLinguist, will give a look for sure before the HF.

> Also I would really like to see some consolidation of the various
> docs, work on our own custom sphinx theme (would be a nice job for
> html wizards) - I already made a simple QGIS one but there are lots of
> features needed to replicate the output of the LaTeX manual as closely
> as possible. Also migrating the t2t documentation to sphinx would be
> nice.

I have created a (very basic) Sphinx project infrastructure, with support for
Internationalization. I have also migrated a couple of .tex files to .rst,
and tested the infrastructure with Italian .po files.
You can find everything here [1]: you can easily build the solution by
running the ./build.sh script and access to the EN and IT version, both
builded under _build/html.
Or you can check it online [2], but just the EN (master) version, as RTD
does not support internationalization at this time.

By the way, I have been using your qgis-theme from the Governance
project, and will send you a pull request with some slight modifications for
supporting the .rst rules I have been used (actually only rendered with
the html builder, need to figure out how to get the same with pdf).

> I also wanted to raise the idea of moving all the context help stuff
> into sphinx and away from the current 'loose files' system  - I used
> this approach on a different plugin and it worked *really* nicely, its
> much simpler for translators and the context help and the user docs
> can be much more closely intertwined.

Will give a look at this.

Checklist of things to do for me, before and during the HF in Lyon:

* solve problems with .pdf output
* using Intersphinx to tie various QGIS documentation projects
(basically the CookBook and the Governance project at this time, I am
not aware of other ones)
* giving a try to pootle
* giving a try to QtLinguist
* testing Sphinx for context help
* consolidate editor workflows (both with gettext or with tools like
gtranslator and pootle)
* create an ad-hoc python script for migrating latex doc to .rst (I
have already some idea, in this respect)
* migrate the documentation
* consolidate the build script (build.sh) and use it live on QGIS site
for putting the whole thing in production

let me know your ideas and give me some feedback, thanks :)

[1] https://github.com/capooti/qgis-sphinx-doc
[2] http://readthedocs.org/docs/qgis-sphinx-doc/en

--
Paolo Corti