[Qgis-developer] Adding plugins to master

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Apr 15 15:43:01 EDT 2012

Hi Agustin,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would moving to master imply a loss of flexibility? I mean, currently
> any update/fix to a python plugin
> is immediately made available to users. Would moving plugins to master
> imply that users have to wait
> for the next release or compile themselves?

I, too, thought the loss of flexibility would be an issue, if I had a
plugin get accepted to be in core. However, upon inspection of the
qgis.utils module, and the following command in PyQGIS console shows this
would not be the case:

 >>> print qgis.utils.plugin_paths

returns (on my Mac 1.7.4 kyngchaos.com.app install):

['/Users/larrys/.qgis/python/plugins',
'/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/python/plugins']

This confirms what I've seen in the past: if a core plugin is released via
a user repository channel, and the user installs it, the installed user
plugin takes precedence over the core module of the same package name (e.g.
fTools user plugin is used instead of fTools core plugin).

So, it is my understanding that a core plugin shipping with a release would
not be 'pinned down' to the QGIS release schedule.

Someone please correct me if this scenario is not the true.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota

El día 15 de abril de 2012 16:23, Paolo Cavallini