[Qgis-developer] Qt image formats issue in Mac release

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Apr 15 17:01:01 EDT 2012

Hi,

In the course of working on a Python plugin, I put together a lightweight,
tabbed web browser for help files [0]. When using it, from within QGIS.app
on Mac (1.7.4) to view sites that had GIFs I noticed that they were not
system.

Upon checking the image formats that are bundled with the release, I
noticed only one:
    /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqjpeg.dylib

Whereas /Developer/Applications/Qt/plugins/imageformats  (for Qt 4.8.1)
contains 6 more:
    libqgif.dylib, libqico.dylib, libqjpeg.dylib, libqmng.dylib,
libqsvg.dylib, libqtga.dylib, libqtiff.dylib

Using the following shell commands, I quickly got GIF support patched into
QGIS.app [1]. I also see uses for libqico.dylib, libqsvg.dylib and
libqtiff.dylib for plugin developers. It looks like 'Quantum-GIS / mac /
cmake / 1qt.cmake.in' could be readily updated to include some or all of
the Qt image formats. Total size for all image formats is ~ 1.2 MB on disk.

Is there a reason only libqjpeg.dylib is included in releases? Are there
any formats that might (or are known to) cause issues, if bundled with Mac
releases?

[0]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/help-browser_qt-imageformat-issue.png
[1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4058089/qgis/qt-imageformats-fix.sh

BTW: I can confirm Qt 4.8.1 (FOSS version) fixes the issue with QWebView
Mac OS X 10.6.8 that Qt 4.8.0 caused. QWebView loads fine on that OS now.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota