[Qgis-developer] GSoC: a student introduces himself

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Sun Apr 15 18:55:32 EDT 2012

Hello,

Le lundi 16 avril 2012 00:33:18, Tim Sutton a écrit :
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Евгений Пашенцев <ugnpaul at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Hello, I am Evgeniy Pashentsev.
> >
> > I have committed the proposal of the Vector Layer Generalization Project
> > here:
>>[snip]

>>> Thanks for the introduction - some of us have read your proposal and
> are quite interested in what you will do. I'm not sure if the
> different approaches you mention take this account, but perhaps your
> approach can also take into account the pixel resolution of the render
> device - since there is never any reason to draw more than one of the
> features vertices per pixel, and if a feature is completely contained
> within a pixel it can be simply drawn as a coloured pixel. Perhaps
> this approach is less efficient than simply rendering everything but
> it may be work looking into.
>
> Optimisation of our render routines will certainly be a welcome
> addition to QGIS!

You should as well have a look at Sandro's work on Mapnik :
http://blog.cartodb.com/post/20163722809/speeding-up-tiles-rendering

Performance tests speak for themselves...

I think Sandro even showed up at some point on IRC or mailing list saying he
could try to implement that on QGIS. You should be able to get in touch with
him to discuss the matter.

Vincent