[Qgis-developer] GRASS regions

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Thu Apr 26 12:25:10 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 05:23:58PM +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> To achieve this, we have to solve the problem of how to use grass regions, a very useful concept for subsetting an analysis or changing its resolution.

As I'm having to do with topology in PostGIS I'm very interested in the
concept behind GRASS regions. It's interesting that you mention a resolution
as I've been thinking for a while that a default resolution could be computed
given an extent in that the maximum error double precision floating points can
represent depend on the biggest absolute value one may ever want to use.
An extent (region) would then give you these upper limits so to be possibly
usable to compute a resolution.

Is this anything close to what GRASS is using these regions for ?

Yeah, I know this is probably not the right list to discuss this, but
I'm hoping grass people are also here and can help in harmonizing topologies
some more, on a neutral gameboard :)

--strk;