[Qgis-developer] Raster colours

jjg j.j.green at gmx.fr
Wed Aug 1 04:27:51 PDT 2012

Hi Paolo,

> Thanks for stepping in. This seems the way to go. As for
> the licences,  are we OK including all your sources in QGIS?

Any of *my* sources, yes (GPL or public domain), but the gradients
on cpt-city are under various licences (as listed in the files
COPYING.xml). Many of these licences do not permit 3rd party
redistribution or contain conditions which would be incompatible
with GPL etc.  One could select a "GPL compatible subset", but it
would miss some of the best ones and take quite a bit of work
(volunteers invited!)

This is why I have implemented the "user download"-friendly
API, so that users can avoid the hassle of downloading and
installing the gradients if they have a bit of software
support, without software developers redistributing the
gradients themselves (something similar was done with
the MS Core Fonts)

Incidentally, if you were thinking of adding support for
reading SVG gradients, then I have some C code which will
do that

  http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/jjg/en/code/cptutils.html

(see src/common/svg*) all GPLv2, or you can have a copy under
any reasonable free licence if you prefer

Cheers

Jim