[Qgis-developer] Criticism of lack of symbols in QGIS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Feb 5 13:24:22 EST 2012

On 02/05/2012 06:03 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I second that - please do not add additional SVG symbols without
> previously improving the tool to organize the symbols. We will only end
> up with tons of symbols (that only a minority needs) slowing down QGIS
> considerably when dealing with point or patterns.
>
> Also, we should distinguish between SVG suitable for point symbolization
> and pattern fills. Not all of the symbols are suitable for both ...
>
> In addition, many single color SVG symbols should be changed to allow
> for easy change of stroke, fill and stroke-width - see
> http://www.sourcepole.com/svg-symbols-in-qgis-with-modifiable-colors

That method is unfortunately incompatible with Inkscape. I tried to make
the edits to the xml in the Inkscape xml editor and every time I closed
the window it would get reverted back to clean xml.

Also when I put in such edits to the xml via text editor they didn't
seem to work in QGIS 1.7.x
Maybe I'll give it another shot, but whatever the method turns out to be
it needs to be compatible with common svg editors.

Thanks,
Alex