[Qgis-developer] Re: Mac app bundling - all-in-one

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Feb 10 20:24:01 EST 2012

I didn't check back on this after I saw it added to MacUpdate, and strangely I don't recall seeing updates listed (I check daily).

For all the complaints about the requirements missing from the readme - bogus, they are there.  And starting with 1.7.1, an installer is used that will not install without the frameworks.

But, for the all-in-one, a bug affecting this was only recently fixed, and I've been too busy to work out the packaging details.  I got a start, but it's a complex thing to do.

And you lose GRASS support in the all-in-one.  Once you need GRASS support (when the GRASS provider bug is finally fixed), you're back to installing the frameworks.

On Feb 10, 2012, at 11:07 AM, John C. Tull wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> I was looking at comments on QGIS at macupdate:
> http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25428/quantum-gis
>
> Unfortunately, there are some negative reviews that seem to be tied to inexperienced users not following install directions. Considering that the installation of frameworks is likely unfamiliar for most casual users of OSX, I wondered if it would be possible to provide the all-in-one bundled application like you used to do? Having a unified application with frameworks bundled, although quite massive, would alleviate the most likely cause for failure on new installs being reported in the comments.
>
> Cheers,
> John

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro