[Qgis-developer] Support for Complex Features

Sunil Padda sunilkp at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Feb 20 21:57:34 EST 2012

Hi,

I am new to GIS world recently started using QGIS. It's a wonderful
tool, and is an excellent example of a good open-source tool.

We are developing a solution that stores spatial data (along with
attributes) in normalized database tables. This data is exposed via
GeoServer WFS. A Geotools plugin was developed to convert the data into
features. We have attributes which can take multiple value and have a
complex structure. Take this as an example structure of a feature:
<Feature>
<ID>1234</ID>
<Shape>shape</Shape>
<FeatureNames>
<FeatureName>
<Language>en</Language>
<Name>New York</Name>
</FeatureName>
<FeatureName>
<Language>es</Language>
<Name>Nueva York</Name>
</FeatureName>
</FeatureNames>
</Feature>

As I understand WFS specification has support for Complex Features
(attributes with multiple occurrences, and which are of complex type).
Does QGIS support either multiplicity or complex types or both? If not,
can you please give me some information of how I could  customize QGIS
to enable support for them? Can it be done as a plugin or should the
core itself be changed?

Thanks,
Sunil