[Qgis-developer] core "plugins" or just qgis tools?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:06:02 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Giovanni Manghi
<giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Many QGIS users find puzzling that many core tools shipped with QGIS are
> listed/available as "plugins". I agree with them, they should not be
> available (to be enabled/disabled) in the "manage plugins" dialog and a
> few should be enabled by default (examples: ftools, gdal tools,
> delimited text layer).

Giovanni,

in general I agree but I would like to see the integration even
further - the plugins should be ideally moved to QGIS itself (or even
its libraries). Delimited text plugin is a good example of what should
be available by default. Regarding fTools and gdal tools - their code
should be moved to the qgis_analysis library and ported to the
processing framework. However even the processing framework still
needs a lot of work and unfortunately there is not that much momentum
around it.

Regards
Martin