[Qgis-developer] Web Client - New Features

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Thu Jan 5 18:51:02 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm new to the list, but have been tinkering around with new features
for the QGIS Web Client for about a month now.

I finally decided to fork the client project at github and am looking
for some input on the first new feature I've got working: extra
OpenLayers base layers and overlays (with the QGIS Server output
sandwiched between). Working with a QGIS Server, MapProxy and
OpenLayers workflow, I've gotten the maps rendering in the client
faster, decently cached, and with quick label drawing.

See the marginally coherent description here:
http://dakcarto.github.com/qgis-web-client/

There is no code yet to play with as I am figuring out how to work
with git/github (first time with this VCS) and push the work up to my
'extralayers' branch.

I'm looking for input on the feature, like whether you think it is a
good addition, or whether you see a different approach. I'm mostly
looking at adding features that keep the user entry level still around
just knowing some javascript, OpenLayers and a smattering of server
configuration. I think keeping the logic coding mixed in with
GeoExt/Ext, and the configuration easier, is a benefit to adoption of
the client by a wider user group.

Thank you for any help you can offer, and thanks to those who have
previously worked on the client,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota