[Qgis-developer] Re: [Quantum-GIS] Heatmap C++ Plugin (#82)

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Mon Jan 9 02:45:36 EST 2012

Hi Arunmozhi

Thank you very much for the heatmap plugin. I'm going to commit it to
master if there are no objections (putting it into the raster menu).

 >I think a generic QgsFileWriter or QgsGDALFileWriter instead of (or
along with) QgsGridFileWriter in the QGIS API would be a great feature

QgsGridFileWriter is used by the interpolation plugin for historical
reason, I hope to change that soon. Much better is to use the GDAL API
directly for raster creation (like in raster calculator or in raster
terrain plugin).

Yes, a raster file writer class would also be a possibility. However, at
the moment, I don't see much advantage over the creation with GDAL.
Maybe the creation of GRASS rasters directly?

Regards,
Marco

On 09.01.2012 06:02, aruntheguy at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM, MORREALE Jean Roc
> <jr.morreale at enoreth.net <mailto:jr.morreale at enoreth.net>> wrote:
>
>     Le 08/01/2012 08:25, Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
>
>         Of course it will be preferrable to generalize the output,
>         alowing the
>         user to choose the preferred format. This would be useful also for
>         existing plugins.
>

>     Marco H. had a patch to set a default file format/compression :
>     http://hub.qgis.org/issues/3436
>

> I went through the Raster calculator  code, the multiple format
> support it provides is through the GDALWarper. I think a generic
> QgsFileWriter or QgsGDALFileWriter instead of (or along with)
> QgsGridFileWriter in the QGIS API would be a great feature, so that
> plugins like the interpolator, heatmap..etc can benefit and support
> multiple output formats instead of the grid file alone.
>

> --
> Regards
> Arunmozhi
> Twitter: @tecoholic
> Website: http://arunmozhi.in
> IRC Nick: teco

Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Sourcepole -  Linux&  Open Source Solutions
Churerstrasse 22, CH-8808 Pfäffikon SZ, Switzerland