[Qgis-developer] proposal for migrating QGIS documentation to reST/Sphinx

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 05:46:06 EST 2012

2012/1/9 Paolo Corti <pcorti at gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> I am new to this list, as I am new to the QGIS development workflows,
> but I am generally very interested in best practices for keeping
> documentation.
>
> Together with Paolo Cavallini, we have been considering which best
> practices could be considered for keeping the QGIS documentation.
> You may probably already be aware that a wide spread approach for
> keeping software documentation nowadays is to keep the documentation
> in reStructuredText format, using Sphinx for rendering it and managing
> multiple languages versions (via the Pootle web application, if we
> expect a large numbers of users is willing to contribute).
>
> Documentation tied to specific release can just live in the source
> tree, tagged together with sofware release and eventually rendered on
> software web site pulling it from the source.
> This is the same approach that has been used for other popular OSGeo
> projects like MapServer and GeoServer.
> I have tried to summarize the approach in this blog post [0]
>
> I would like to hear your opinion about eventually migrating the whole
> QGIS project docs to Sphinx. I am ready to contribute to this, if this
> idea is well receipt from all of you :)

Hi Paolo,

I've also had some conversations with both Tim Sutton and Paolo
Cavallini on this topic, I also think that moving to reStructuredText
would be beneficial.

We've also shortly talked about automatically build language-specific
snapshots of the QGIS GUI with a custom sphinx directive.

Great to know you're willing to help, certainly you already know that
the new plugins web infrastructure is built upon our beloved Django :)

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it