[Qgis-developer] Re: QGIS Processing Framework

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Jan 13 11:24:28 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM, CzendaZdenda <tramtara at seznam.cz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> have someone experiences with VisTrails (VT)? According the discuss on ML
> about using it for a workflow builder I have spent some times with VT. And
> started think about using external library or write it without dependencies
> on it. As Paolo mentioned:
>
> "I think we better avoid external dependencies unless necessary.
> Furthermore, I do not know VT, but it seems far from production-ready, and
> its scope seems to considerably overlap that of QGIS."
>
> That's right. VT is more than we need and now it's not good for integrated
> into another program. For me looks better to write workflow builder without
> dependencies, just with using Qt and its Graphics View Framework.
>
> So what do you think about it?
>
> Regards,
> Zdenek

Has anyone considered adapting the Orange framework for this task?

  http://orange.biolab.si/features.html

Orange is written in Python and provides dataflow analysis through a
"connect the boxes" interface similar to the ArcGIS  model builder. There
could be some good ideas there that QGIS can adopt.

-Charlie