[Qgis-developer] Let's simplify the plugin situation

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 05:47:51 EST 2012

Hi Maxim

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info> wrote:
> We've been asked why don't we move our plugins to official repo. The
> reason  is  that  autopackaging is unavailable. We maintain 16 plugins
> and it will be a pain to switch to manual. If someone doesn't like the
> idea   for  some  reason,  it  would  make  sense to add on/off switch
> for autopackaging in official repo.

what exactly do you mean by "autopackaging" ? The new repo now offers
API for uploading new versions of plugins - automatic deployment with
a script should not be a problem anymore.

> Localizations    of   the   descriptions   are  also  something  we're
> concerned  about  and  it is unfortunate  that  right  now  we  cannot
> provide our users localized descriptions of the plugins.

That would require:
1. support in plugins' metadata.txt file. We could add a section in
the metadata.txt file for each locale - e.g. [general-ru] for Russian
in addition to [general] section.
2. support in QGIS (to show localized texts in plugin
installer/manager). Should be relatively easy to add
3. support in the repository. This might need more work (due to
changes in database structure) to allow the plugin installer to ask
for localized plugin list, something like this:
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/plugins.xml?lang=ru

Regards
Martin