[Qgis-developer] Re: Complicate the plugin situation

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 01:43:10 EST 2012

Hi Paolo, hi all

I am not understanding what you mean by fiiling appropriate tickets.
My point with these messages was: I did what I read I should do, and
when I uploaded my plugin, I got error/warning messages...
These are too big and flashy regarding to their importance (homepage,
tracker, repo, etc.)

Also having to set sub-project and plugins is weird, as you have to fill
the info twice. I tried to look for the page where you set tracker, repo
etc. and cannot find it anymore. It's not clear if it's possible or not
to give the repo and that it is automatically included in the hub/projects.
Why not having only one of the two for the plugins?

I also think that having developers to validate plugins is a useless
job. Because having number of downloads and users rating (via QGIS?) and
comments is imho far the best way of evaluating a plugin. Second, I
don't like very much the delay for the plugin to be available (although
I am known to be very impatient ;) ....

Well, to finish I'll say I am a little sad regarding to the amount of
work that has been done on these website for the plugins. All these
stuff seems great on its own. But it does look like there used to be a
lack of aggreement / concertation. (I noticed the discussion on the
wiki). I would suggest to have a single page for howto publish a plugin
(1) and a single gateway to browse plugins, instead of many (2) and
without any link from qgis home page (!!!)

I see that the discussion in the wiki
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Python_Plugin_Repositories
is going in that way and it's great. I know that this king of work is
not very sexy for developers, but the gain for users and user-developers
is huge!

(1) now:
http://plugins.qgis.org/
http://www.qgis.org/pyqgis-cookbook/plugins.html#releasing-the-plugin