[Qgis-developer] Re: Complicate the plugin situation

Giuseppe Sucameli brush.tyler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:26:37 EST 2012

Hi Ale, hi all,
today I've shared a plugin (spatialite_manager) through the plugins
website following only the information I gradually found in pages
I visited.

Below there's the list of problems I found.

1. In http://plugins.qgis.org/ the displayed informations are not
consistent.

1.a. In section "How to add your plugin to this repository" I can
see:
- "register your plugin at http://hub.qgis.org/projects/qgis-user-plugins,
to show plugin info, add issues/tickets and to have just ONE repository
for all qgis plugins."
Shouldn't it be this optional as the user can choose any tracker?

- about the sub-section "depending on your plugin/ideas/capabilities"
I'm not sure I understand what this means, so I think should be
re-written.

2. About the PyQGIS cookbook:
2.a. The section "Release a plugin" into the cookbook needs
to be update with the new procedure, It also contains a link to the
old plugins repo site.
2.b. There isn't a section about metadata.txt, what information
it contains, where put the file, ...

3. Back to plugins site,
3.a After I upload a new plugin that doesn't have a "metadata.txt"
file, the webapp displays too much warnings (about 5 or 6),
- the first warning says that the Tracker is missing in metadata,
- the second warning says that the Repository is missing in metadata,
- the third warning says that the Homepage is missing in metadata,
- a message says that the plugin was successful uploaded
- another warning about the missing metadata.txt file
- the last warning says me to consider creating a project on hub (but
the link sends to the hub homepage, not to the new project page and
of course it cannot populate any field in the create new project page).

4. In Hub (redmine instance), if I create a new project adding a tick
to repository, then setting up the repository is too much difficult:
4.a In the section "Permission Setup:"
- it says to upload an ssh public key, but without any explaination
on how to find or create the public key (GH has a very intuitive guide
here http://help.github.com/set-up-git-redirect/)
- It also says "Add yourself as a project developer: SpatiaLite Manager
Settings -> Members Tab -> New Member", even if who create a new
project already is a member, but he doesn't have developer permission.
4.b After I set the type of the repository there's no way to change it.

I think it's all. I'm going to file bugs for all the things I said.
Regards.

--
Giuseppe Sucameli