[Qgis-developer] python 2.7 in osgeo4w and rpy2

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jan 24 11:54:56 EST 2012

On 01/24/2012 08:41 AM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 01/24/2012 08:38 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
>> Hi Jurgen,
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 14:54 +0100, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi Giovanni,

>>> All?
>>

>> I believe that any python plugin/tool that works on top of R need rpy or
>> rpy2
>>

>>> There's also python-rpy - which is in osgeo4w.  Not sure what the
>>> difference is - and why both exists.
>>

>> If I'm not wrong rpy is an old version of rpy2, probably still in
>> osgeo4w for backward compatibility with some tool that still uses it.
>>

>> cheers
>>
>> -- Giovanni --
>>

> rpy2 is a complete rewrite of rpy, I'm not sure they are compatible (I
> don't think they are). I can check on the rpy2 list about the status of
> python 2.7 builds for windows(fairly sure it works on linux). There's
> also that whole issue about which version of R they work with which was
> also stuck to R 2.11 I think I heard.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Giovanni,

Can you try either:
1. easy_install rpy2 from the osgeo4w shell
or
2. download the tar.gz from the rpy2 site and do a python setup.py
install in the osgeo4w shell

That might be all that needs to happen, and then the upload to osgeo4w
just might be a subfolder of python site-packages wrapped in a tar.gz
(someone more familiar with osgeo4w packaging should anwser this part.)
I don't see any reason it won't work on python 2.7.

Thanks,
Alex