[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] knock knock - 1.7.4 is outside

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:01:02 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 14:46 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> IMHO we should not release the 1.7.4 version before having squashed all the real
> blockers. This implies revising all the Immediate and Urgent tickets, and either
> solve them (if they are really blockers) or downgrade them (if they are not).
> Concerning the translations: would it be ok to translate the master, and backport the
> translations?
> All the best, and thanks Werner for leading the effort.

Hi Paolo!
As I am not a cpp guru (and as i already wrote) I do not have testdata
to look at some of these bugs I heavily rely on 1. people reporting bugs
and 2. developers solving it..
So the "either" point of your mail is one thing I cannot do - and to be
honest I dont know what you mean with "downgrade them" ..

Concerning the translations:
If you are backporting the translations to the file in release-1_7 it is
ok for me .. As I do not speak italian (and obviously not 38 other
languages) I cannot take a look if the right phrase is correctly placed
in the right place.
Of course we can always backport the translations from master to release
but as strings change (with every GUI Change - and I think we recently
had a lot in master) there is no guarantee that everything is correct in
release branch ..
So I would prefer to take a short look over the file in release
branch .. see whats missing and probably backport the phrase if it
already exists in master .. If there is an automated way to do that on
every language I am more than willing to take a look at it if you know
one..

As there are already 56 improvements over 1.7.3 I would say it is time
to look for a new release .. I hope that every immediate and urgent bug
will be cleaned .. someone just has to point at the correct commit in
master and Alex and me will try to backport it (if it is possible).

So let's look for the reaction on the "call for testing" ;)

kind regards
Werner