[Qgis-developer] Slow raster loading

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Jan 30 07:16:50 EST 2012

Hi all.
Currently, loading coloured rasters with stretching to minmax on is extremely slow
(almost unusable):
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4421
E.g. I could load a large RasterLite in <1 sec instead of minutes (!).
The trick, from the user point of view, is to disable stretching by default, and
enable it only for rasters where the option makes sense (e.g. a monoband, greyscale).
Obviously we could do it better, disabling the stretch for the rasters where it does
not make sense.
In addition, Giovanni noticed several other small bugs.
Anybody interested in looking into this? The situation is rather intricate, but most
of the fixes should be trivial, and would improve usability a lot.
We (Faunalia) are ready to help testing and clarifying.
Thanks a lot.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu