[Qgis-developer] Clarifying access to non geographical datas

Nathan Woodrow madmanwoo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 05:29:45 PDT 2012

Yeah I think having a show all files would be a good option.   My main
goal for the dialog is to do a way with as much of the filesystem feel
as possible (but not removing it completely) because IMO there is has
always been this divide in GIS software with the file system on one
side, which people are comfortable with and understand (to some
extent); and then there is the "other stuff" like databases, web
services which normally you have to access a different way which makes
people uncomfortable. Why should we treat them differently?  This is
my attempt to remove some of that feel. It borrows strongly from the
QBrowser idea, in fact would be good implemented as a sub set of that.

The key difference to the QBrowser is that the tree on the left is
only the root nodes (connection nodes) not the layers like in the
browser.  Clicking on a node, or parent node, would show all the
layers in that source on the right. This means you are not scrolling
up and down to load layers from different sources.  If I expand a
folder with 100 layers in QBrowser I now can't see my other
connections at a glance, but QBrowser and my dialog mockup serve a
different purpose.

I have to express though this is only a rough mockup and there is no
code backing it, and I haven't even tried to begin working on it as it
is above my current skill level in order to do it correctly.

- Nathan