[Qgis-developer] What will be in QGIS 2.0

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Jul 11 04:26:42 PDT 2012

Hi All

Marco and I have been discussing version 2.0 and wanted to bring the
discussion onto the list. In particular we are interested in:

- When is a reasonable date to aim for the release?
- What features will be part of 2.0?
- What things are we going to clean away for the release?

Here are a list of the possible things that could go into 2.0 that we
came up with:

- QgsGeometry Refactor to support arcs, measures, 3d geometries and
geometry collections (Marco is working on this though unless he is
funded to work on it it is unlikely to happen for 2.0)
- Threading branch and threaded data provider refactor (a long time
ago in GSOC project far away Martin Dobias got much of the ground work
in place but the delta between his branch and master is huge now)
- Raster refactor to use new renderer architecture, native WCS
support, pipelines, 'save as' support and more (this work is being
funded by the World Bank and will be available in master over the next
3 months)
- GSOC project for symbology UI redesign / improvements (how is this
work going?)
- GSOC project for on the fly feature generalization (also how is this going)
- Addition of Sextante into QGIS as a standard plugin (assuming that
sits well with Victor)

What else do we miss from the list? Are any others out there actively
working on features / funding features that we should be aware of?

In terms of decrufting, it would be good to remove all the duplicated items:

- twin labelling systems
- unified add layer dialogs
- twin symbology systems
- about 15 ways to generate hillshades
- too many toolbars / icons by default
- remove all deprecated calls from the API

Are there any other things that folks would like to add to the
discussion for the roadmap for version 2.0?

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net