[Qgis-developer] What will be in QGIS 2.0

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Jul 11 05:01:16 PDT 2012

Hello,

Le mercredi 11 juillet 2012 13:34:57, Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
> Il 11/07/2012 13:26, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> > In terms of decrufting, it would be good to remove all the duplicated
> > items:
> >
> > - twin labelling systems
> > - unified add layer dialogs
> > - twin symbology systems
> > - about 15 ways to generate hillshades
> > - too many toolbars / icons by default
> > - remove all deprecated calls from the API
>
> Agreed, removing duplicates is important, and will need a fair amount of
> work. I would add twin diagrams.

+1, simplifying and removing those duplicates is the most important thing.

> As for the analytical part, I'm not so sure duplication is bad: every
> backend has its strengths, and it is not uncommon to get different results
> with different methods, so this is actually a way to better check your
> results.

+1 too, as soon as everything analytical stays inside sextante and may be
disabled, no problem in having duplication.

> Also, unified layer loading, as discussed recently, seems important.
> More generally, I would think users need more polishing than new features.

Can't agree more on that point.
2.0 is the opportunity to disrupt, and get rid of all little glitches in the
UI, improve the interface in terms of UX and consolidate existing features
more than adding thousands of new things.

Vincent