[Qgis-developer] New adv labeling freeze-thaw tools

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Jul 15 20:31:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

The current large-format project I'm working on requires me to layout,
for print, thousands of labels. So I spent the last couple of days
making two new tools for the advanced labeling toolbar that allow the
user to interactively 'freeze' (write coords and rotation info to
attribute table) and 'thaw' (revert from data-defined to dynamic) any
rendered labels.

*Show Frozen Labels*

This tool highlights frozen labels for all visible layers. Blue
highlighted labels are frozen, green are frozen and editable (parent
layer's in edit mode).

*Freeze/Thaw Labels*

This tool allows the user to interactively choose, by single or
marquee selection, labels to freeze or thaw. The in-memory attribute
table is immediately updated and results shown to user. This tool
allows the user to interactively manipulate the PAL labeling engine to
find the best solutions for their frozen labels.

Since the topic and how the tool interacts with the labeling engine is
more complicated, I made an intro video. (Note: I haven't had much
sleep recently, so it's a bit rough.)

http://vimeo.com/dakotacarto/freezethawlabels

This is my first C++ project, so I'd be really happy if someone
audited the code before I squash the commits and send a pull request:

https://github.com/dakcarto/Quantum-GIS/tree/feature_freeze-thaw-labels

Only tested on Mac, as of now. Nothing platform-specific about it though.

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota