[Qgis-developer] Memory data provider persistence

haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Thu Jul 26 00:55:23 PDT 2012

Having a specific memory storage have pros and cons that you explained very
well Chris.
 From a user point of view, one drawback is that if something goes wrong in
memory layer loading whe project opens, or on memory layer save, data is
lost. So User will for sure ask for a "Add memory layer" provider.. because
they will try to reopen that dataset they see with their project.
That's why I prefer SQLlite, already easy to open. It stores vector or
raster, is compact, no install...  BUT, we will be dependent of that tool
and associated libraries, that's true.
My bet is that Spatialite will be a MANDATORY tool for people who don't have
postgis access or skills. One simple argument: it store long field names,
and is fast.  So QGIS should stick close to spatialite as much as it does
for postgis. If we all agree on that roadmap, it would not be so risquy to
choose spatialite ..
Hope this helps..