[Qgis-developer] SVG-Icons instead of PNGs?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jul 31 01:30:24 PDT 2012

 Hi Robert,

 Thanks for the reply.

 Do you have a side-by-side comparison of SVG vs. png and the rendering
 quality somewhere? I wonder if this is still an issue and if it is - how
 much of a problem it really is.

 Having just one icon size instead of n different sizes also has a lot
 of advantages. Think about all the new high-dpi devices. These would
 benefit a lot from SVG instead of PNG.

 Andreas

 On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:53:40 +0200, Robert Szczepanek wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 29.07.2012 12:22, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> Regarding the discussion around the icons?
>>
>> How about using SVG icons instead of fixed size png icons? That way
>> one
>> could easily scale the icon sizes on different devices to the
>> preferred
>> scale and taste of the user.
>
> From my test and literature I found that simple vector scaling for
> small size icons (16x16 - 24-24) is not recommended. For higher
> images
> blur effect is not so visible and important.
>
>> Are there any technical reasons for using PNGs instead of SVGs? I
>> believe the source of the icons is SVG anyway?
>>
>> For my own in house python plugins I always use the SVG icons.
>
> The main technical reason was image quality. We decided to use
> already rendered images in "native resolution". I know it sounds
> stupid in Scalable Vector ... context, but that's the reality.
> Whole version 0.1 of GIS icons was designed in just one SVG file. In
> version 0.2 I save them in separate files. So most of the icons is at
> the moment available as one file per icon.
>
> regards,
> Robert
>
>> Andreas

 Andreas Neumann